Sunday, June 26, 2011

Fires are burning

I had a dream just before awakening this morning that stirred me deeply. I have to tell the conclusion of the dream before I share the content. As the dream was ending, I was being approached by a number of young Christians who were saying, "I've never seen this happen before, have you?" To which I replied, "I have seen a match burning, and I have seen a fireplace burning, but I have never seen a house ablaze or a forest fire."

The context was a movement among Christians who were permeating their culture with the love and power of God. The dream centered around a massive community (of what looked like apartments) in which people were gathering in homes for bible study, discipleship and then reaching out to their neighbors.

I entered the dream about this time and was welcomed with hugs by people I knew from my past. There was an atmosphere of celebration and dining. Each person shared with me what they had seen God do recently, and I shared my perspective as well. Then, as we looked at the sea of people approaching us, someone said to me, "I have never seen this happen before...have you?"

----------
My answer seems to be the reply I would still give if asked about revival fire. I have seen a match burning...individual Christians on fire with the love of God. I have seen a fireplace burning...small groups passionately pursuing God and His purposes for this world. But I have not yet seen a house burning (church?) or a forest fire (region) on fire for Him. And I believe that this dream was a picture of us looking out and seeing the tinder of men and women ready for the fire of God. I pray that the Spirit of God in me and you be fire to this tinder!

No comments: