Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Growing Plants

This week we played for our Workshop of Supernatural Ministry, a video by Bill Johnson, in which he said, "whatever is kept within the walls of the church will die, but whatever we take outside will grow and thrive."

After I went home, I looked at my tomato plants that I started a few weeks ago. I sure was glad I planted them inside, where there was heat and regulated water and food supplies. But the controlled atmosphere is only temporary. It would be folly to try to get my tomato plants to bear fruit indoors. The best they would do is to shrivel and get gnarly if they aren't exposed to the elements as they were designed for. In fact, once mature, my tomato plants were created for the temperate outdoors, because that is where they will bear fruit. Plant them in March and they will die. Plant them in late May and they will thrive.

Likewise with us. Jesus SENT his disciples out to PRACTICE in the towns and villages. They healed the sick, raised the dead, cleansed the lepers and cast out demons. They had some successes and some failures. Then they returned to Jesus for a debriefing. Got some more instructions and tried again. Sounds like the way the church should train!

That is what I hope our Workshops will do. As the weather warms in April, we plan on conducting "neighborhood treasure hunts" in which we go through a neighborhood looking for folks to pray for, to hear their prayer needs, and then to meet those needs through whatever means God provides. We will have the opportunity to practice what we are learning, how to hear God, how to give a word of prophetic encouragement, and how to pray for healing or deliverance. Do it long enough and we will realize that this is who we are and not just something we do.

No comments: