Tuesday, March 22, 2011

In Bondage to Being Right.

I had an encounter with a former church member today that broke my heart. He had been posting some negative things about a well known Christian musician and I asked him to be careful on how quickly he judged. What followed was a hornets nest of scripture postings followed by "according to the Authorized King James Version of 1611." It was like an exclamation point being added to a rant that was actually saying, "I need to be right, and can't afford to make a mistake."

His reaction to my questions went beyond being merely defensive, but drove on the offense, to set stakes in the ground on what he believed, why and how it was important that he defend his interpretation as the only correct one.

At first, I wanted to "de-friend" him, then after that I felt like rebuking him or telling him he was wrong. But the Holy Spirit whispered to my heart that those actions were "about me" and not about love. Instead, I concluded that it is my role to continue to plant seeds about the awesome LOVE of God found in Jesus Christ's grace that is available to every believer. We don't have to be right or prove we are right. Love covers over many sins (flaws, faults, etc).

No comments: